Saturday 9 June 2012

Pre-Flight Jitters

So I have only have 13 days to go until I jet off the the USA to be in the Bethel School of Supernatural Worship in California.  I am soooo excited now and a lot nervous.  I do have a fear of small spaces and heights.  I also have a fear of plummeting from a great height to my death.  All these things are not conducive to the love of airplanes. 


So in order to get to Bethel and seeing God's glory I must first get myself to the airport on a bus and then fly on 2 airplanes. 
 
One huge beast of a thing....



....... and one so small I certainly would not be able to swing a cat. 



  
In fact I do not know which one scares me the most: huge or stupidly tiny. 

 I have spent many hours looking at seating options....

  • I could sit by an exit and thus be 1st out in the unlikely event of sheer panic.  But I could then be sucked out 1st if the door unexpectedly swung open.
  • I could sit by a window thus giving myself a nice quiet spot to stew and sleep???  But, what if the person in the aisle falls asleep I will be trapped forever.
  • I could sit near the loo as I am sure I will be spending most of my time in there due to panic in the bowels.  But the toilets for the cheap seats are at the back of the plane and I have seen the series "Lost" so I know sitting in the tail is definitely not a good option.
  • I even put my seat on the end of a row of 5 middle seats thinking this would be a safe option.  Nearer the front, nearish to an exit (but not too close) and fully available to shoot to the loo at a moments notice.  But as my lovely friend pointed out I would most probably end up sitting next to a family of 4 and spend the 11 hour flight entertaiing small children.  (I love my kids but I would not like to entertain even them on a 11 hour flight).


So where does that leave me?  I have chosen and then reselected seats 3 times now.  So I am leaving it well alone now.  Ailse seat for the long haul, window seat for the 1 hour tiny plane.  In actual fact I have booked a window seat on the tiny plane but as it is so small it is also an aisle seat :)

 I just have to keep praying about this flying thing.  When I did an assembly for the kids at school a few weeks ago we all talked about our fears and how we can overcome them because God is with us.  We also prayed for our fears and I did ask God to rid that one for me.  I do feel slightly calmer about it.  You will all know in 13 days how it goes.

So  am now in "oh goodness it is actually happening quite soon" mode.  I have been throwing things into a suitcase whenever I think I might need it.  So my hope is that the suitcase will almost have packed itself by next week.

Now before going away there is a certain point in the week when you realise that you must start wearing your manky clothes now to make sure all the nice ones are clean.  Doesn't really apply here though as the clothes I will pack for my trip are my lovely summer clothes and I am certainly now wearing all my winter stuff again because it is so cold here.

I am sure I will be posting again about my preparations.  13 Days to go aaaggrrhh.



No comments:

Post a Comment