Saturday 15 December 2012

Poorly Poorly

I have been so poorly recently I have not been able to blog.  I have been feeing rough for months and in September I visited my Dr with a horrific headache and loss of strenth on one side.  It looked like I was having a stroke and the Dr called me an ambulance.  After many tests and an MRI they ruled out all sinister conditions and diagnosed me with a terrible Migraine.   After several days in hospital, then 4 more weeks at home with severe pain it eventually settled and I had my life back (although at a slower pace). 

I still felt drained and pushed on but began to have sharp pains in my tummy.  I put the pain down to taking anti inflammatory tablets for my head ache.  I have a history of stomach ulcers so I often get an upset tummy when I take them.  These pains persisted for a month and I was glugging the Gaviscon from the bottle.  However one day when I was sorting out some papers, I got a stitch in my tummy.  I thought it was odd as I had not been running and tried to ignore it through the afternoon.  By the next morning it was a painful stitch and I made an emergency appointment at the Drs.  She was very worried as the pain was over my liver and wanted to send me to hosital.  I did not want to go back into hospital again so she agreed to do blood tests as long as I came back 1st thing:  I never made it back.  By that evening I was in agony, I sat still all night and took loads of pain killers but when I tried to stand I collapsed with pain and my lovely husband called the ambulance for me. 

The next few days were a blur while they dosed me up and tried to find out what was wrong.  They ruled out pancritis (which I have had before) and lots of other nasties.  After 3 days of me screaming and no clue as to what was wrong with me they sent me for a CT Scan.  The diagnosis: Omental Infarct.  I had never heard of it, you have probably never heard of it - and to my surprise most of the Drs had never heard of it either.  In fact I am the first person in the hospital in Oxford to have ever had it.  Apparently it is extremely rare.  Whenever I they visited they seemed to ask me more questions than I asked to them.   Basically it means that part of the apron or bag of tissue that holds my intestines together had lost it's blood supply and died. Yep dead tissue inside me.  A boy did it hurt.  I had morphine via a pump and everything else they could throw at me and it was still excruciating.  The accute symptoms lasted 10 days, the last 5 of which I would keep nothing down including water.  I was poorly.




Now I have been home 3 weeks and I still have pain and feel exhausted.  Whilst progress has been slow there has been some progress.  They did a biopsy this week to see whether I have the bug H Pylori which caused stomach ulcers and reflux.  So I am awaiting those now.

Just as I had begun to feel a bit better and even managed to get out of the house, I have now been hit by a horrible flue bug.  I am sat in my bed with PJ's, dressing gown, 3 duvets and a hat and I am still freezing.  My whole body aches, My head is pounding and my throat feels like I have razor blades shoved down it.  I am struggling to swallow my own saliva.  My tummy is still sore too and I feel like death. 

I am frustrated, I am fed up, I am poorly and feel like I need a break now.  I have been questioning why some people are as fit as a fiddle, and others, like me, are in and out of hospital all the time?  It seems the distribution of illness is not fairly shared out.

I have felt low and sorry for myslef, but some days I am grateful that being ill has forced me to stop and appreciate the important things in life.  I am often too busy to stop and over the past few months I have been forced to stop and spend time with my children.  Whilst we have not been out together, I know that they have appreciated my being at home to talk to.

Whilst I can see some benefits I am totally ready to move onto to health now.  I am praying for a speedy recovery - especially as Christmas is only 10 days away.


3 comments:

  1. Hi there! First of all, I am so very sorry to hear of your health issues and I hope you recover quickly and with no lingering effects. The reason I am reaching out to you is because I am looking for people who have also suffered this elusive ormental infarction. My 8-year old daughter started experiencing horrible tummy pains Easter night. I took her to the hospital but left after three hours of waiting when we had not been seen and her belly was getting better. Monday morning I took her to her pediatrician who sent us back to the hospital because she was showing signs of appendicitis. We spent all day at the hospital checking for appendicitis and were released with the doctor saying she had unexplained belly pains and to come back if it got worse. Wednesday we were back in the hospital and the doctor ordered a CT scan which found the ormental infarct. She was given medication that I unfortunately do not remember the name of as I was hysterical at that point, and her tummy got better. After she has her first poop since the tummy pain started the pain went away completely. I ran into the same issue with hospital here in Florida. The doctors and nurses had either never heard if it, or read about it and never sseen it. I'm wondering if anyone there had ever heard of someone having it twice? I'm supposed to send her to school tomorrow and find myself terrified to because I have no idea what caused the infarct to begin with. Did you get any helpful info?Boards

    ReplyDelete
  2. BKid
    I am so sorry to hear that your daughter has had this horrible condition. I am really sorry to say that I am not able to shed any light on the condition as i have yet to find anyone who knows anything about it. I have asked every medical professional I have met and not one could give me an idea of why it happens.

    For me i had it just once but i was in severe pain for 10 days and then another 10 weeks with milder pain and exhaustion. You may just find she is still suffering from the one Infarct. Certainly going to the toilet and needing the toilet can cause a lot of pain in that area.

    I was only given pain killers as they say that the condition is self limiting (will get better by itself).

    I would try to not worry about sending her to school but would not hesitate to take her back hospital if she gets tummy pain again.

    Sorry i could not help more. Bless her it must have been awful for her. I will pray she makes a very speedy recovery.

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jennie,
    Your right, it is very hard to see your child in pain and then to find out they have a condition that only .01 percent of the population has is awful. If I can ever find anything else out I will share with you. I just really wish someone would know what caused it as she didn't have any belly trauma. I hope you are feeling better!
    -Bridget

    ReplyDelete